Department for Continuing Education
Oxford University’s Department for Continuing Education offers a range of exciting summer courses for adults, whether for personal interest, professional development or to achieve college credits. Students aged 18+ live and study in one of Oxford’s historic colleges or at Rewley House, experiencing Oxford University student life to its full, including dining in hall, living in University premises and enjoying the world’s most famous university city on their doorstep.
Three different programmes are available:
The Oxford Experience
The Oxford Experience is designed for students who want first and foremost to experience student life in this historic University while pursuing subjects of interest with expert faculty members. Residential in Christ Church College, one of Oxford’s most famous constituent University colleges, the programme offers more than 80 week-long courses in a range of subjects in the humanities and social sciences including archaeology, history, literature, philosophy history of art and creative writing. Seminars take place in the mornings, while afternoons are free for academic field trips, private study or exploring the many places of interest in and around the city.Learn More.
Oxford University Summer School for Adults (OUSSA)
OUSSA is an accredited summer school taught at undergraduate level; each one-week course carries 10 CATS (Credit Accumulation and Transfer Scheme) points at FHEQ (Framework for Higher Education Qualification) Level 4. Credit is awarded by the Board of Studies of Oxford University Department for Continuing Education. Sixty accredited courses for adult learners are available, each of one week duration, covering a wide range of topics held over five weeks at Rewley House in central Oxford. Participants are taught in small seminar groups of up to 10 students, and receive two one-on-one tutorials with their tutor. Learn More.
Oxford summer schools for academics and professionals
Based in one of Oxford’s most prestigious colleges, including Christ Church, Exeter College, New College, St Antony’s College and Worcester College, academics and professionals can experience life as an Oxford student: dining in hall, and drawing inspiration from college gardens and grounds. Classes take the form of small interactive seminar groups, led by specialist tutors, in addition to which students enjoy lectures by leading scholars and distinguished speakers. And of course, students have ample opportunity to get to know the world’s most famous university city, its galleries and gardens. Learn more.
- An official Oxford University summer school, delivered by the Department for Continuing Education
- Live, dine and study with like-minded adults in some of the most prestigious colleges of Oxford University
- A wide range of courses are available for general interest or academic and professional development
- Experience all that Oxford has to offer, with privileged access to areas not open to the public
- Study in small groups taught by experienced tutors
- Enjoy drinks receptions and a final gala dinner
- All teaching and class materials
- Accommodation and all meals (dependant on the package chosen)
- Social and extracurricular programme
- Single, shared and twin accommodation depending on preference
- Shared or en-suite bathrooms
- Authentic Oxford University accommodation
watch the video
Reviews & Testimonials
The tutors are excellent and adapt to the wide range of students from allover the world.
The course I attended was excellent: the teachers were informative and gave lectures rather than allowing the audience to interrupt and ask questions/recount anecdotes. I learnt a lot!
I particularly love the interaction with both the tutors and the other students.
Pros / Cons
- Official Oxford University summer school
- Live and study in some of the most prestigious Oxford colleges
- Privileged access to University areas
People didn't like...
- Available for adults only
- Not easy to find student reviews and testimonials
Choose this Provider if...
You are an adult looking for the chance to experience a genuine taste of Oxford University, learning from expert faculty members with like-minded adults from all over the world.
The Department for Continuing Education exists to enable Oxford University to reach students beyond the full-time student body. We enhance the local, national and international impact of the University by engaging with audiences that the University would not otherwise reach, including through Master’s and Doctoral programmes in flexible formats, attracting high-calibre adult learners. Learn more about Conted’s mission.
Gold Standard Provider
- Year founded: 1878
- No. Students: 100+
- Accommodation: University College
- Age Range: 18+
- Hours of Tuition / wk: 15+
- Typical Duration: 1 week
Dates & Fees
- Fees from: ££1500 +
- Dates: July - August
- Duration: 1 week
- Age Range: 18+