Named after the eminent seventeenth century Oxford philosopher, The John Locke Institute Summer School in Oxford offers a highly academic summer school that purports to provide a more exclusive ‘Oxbridge’ experience than some of its competitors. It seeks to bring together the very best young students, selected through a competitive process, to study with university professors (view the faculty here), encouraging them to think critically and to nurture their intellectual skills. Three courses are available: Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE), History and Politics, and a Junior summer school that combines all of these subjects.
Activities include cultural trips to Oxford sites, including the Oxford Union and even a visit to Blenheim Palace to watch the most traditionally English sport – cricket.
- Live, dine and study in Balliol College, Oxford
- Experience tuition from University professors and academics
- Join some of the brightest young minds from all over the world
- Enjoy exclusive cultural tours and experiences around Oxford
- All tuition and learning materials
- Accommodation in Balliol College, Oxford
- College accommodation - unknown for 2022
Reviews & Testimonials
The professors stretched my thinking skills in ways I had never experienced before, and I am so glad I maintained an open mind
A fantastic two weeks where I debated renowned professors, but also make unforgettable memories and life-long friends
I have learnt so much in the way of how to think. The summer school opened up so many possibilities and ways to approach questions.
- Exceptional calibre of teaching faculty
- Small class sizes
People didn't like...
- Few student reviews available online
- Some students found it to have a less exclusive and selective feel than advertised
- Unclear if its courses are accredited by any major bodies
Choose the John Locke Summer School in Oxford if...
You want an exclusive summer school with academically gifted students, studying in small groups with expert academics.
The John Locke Institute is an independent educational organisation that works to embolden the best and brightest students to become more academically ambitious and more intellectually adventurous. Through its various programmes in Oxford and Princeton – residential courses, revision seminars, essay competitions, and special events – it seeks to inspire students to aim high and we equip them with the skills they need in order to achieve their goals.
- Year founded: 2014
- No. Students: 50+
- Accommodation: Oxford College
- Age Range: 16+
- Hours of Tuition / wk: Unknown
- Typical Duration: 8 days+
Dates & Fees
- Fees from: Unknown
- Dates: July, August
- Duration: 8 days+
- Age Range: 16+