St Clare’s offers courses to students aged 9-15, 14-17 and adults aged 17+. With more than 65 years of experience, St Clare’s Oxford is one of the older and more established summer school providers on the market, based out of their own school setting close to Oxford city centre. Teaching takes place in St Clares’ own private grounds in an attractive residential part of Oxford, while students can either stay in the college or local homestay accommodation, all a short walk from the city centre. Most courses are based around English language, though subject-specific courses are available for older age groups. Uniquely, each week is taught by a certain theme, giving students the opportunity to gain an in-depth and focused understanding of their chosen subject. Outside of classes, the residential houses where students stay are in central Oxford and make great bases for exploring the city outside study hours.
- An experienced provider that has been running summer courses for more than 65 years
- An exciting range of subjects including English, Business, Art & Digital Design and Science
- Topical lessons that encourage learning through a range of Weekly Themes and Guest Speaker events
- Students study in the St Clares centre near Oxford centre, and either live in the college residency or local homestay accommodation
- All programmes include study visits and excursions around the UK
- Courses can be 2 or more weeks depending on the age group and course
- All tuition (20 + hrs / week)
- Central, full-board accommodation, either residency or homestay
- Varied social programme in Oxford
- At least 1 excursion per week on all courses
- Travel insurance
- Airport transfers
- Addition tuition in English or other subjects
- Comfortable single or twin rooms in St Clares' residencies
- Homestay accommodation available for teenage or adult students
- Bedding and towels provided
- Full Wifi and connectivity
- Separate boys and girls sleeping areas
watch the video
Reviews & Testimonials
Being an American and only having the opportunity to go abroad for a semester, it was difficult for me to choose only one county to study in, because I wanted to experience as many cultures as possible. St. Clare's puts students in contact with such a diversity of students that they feel that they went abroad to more than one country.
The living arrangements were great, the lecture courses were engaging and involved field trips, and the weekend and evening trips were a lot of fun.
Not only is the charming "City of Dreaming Spires" an incredibly unique place to study abroad, but St. Clare's provides students with an opportunity to experience the great diversity of Oxonian, English, British and European life. With a wide variety of inspiring coursework and regular trips to locations around the United Kingdom, St. Clare's provides visiting students with a welcoming, educational community that supports their personal growth in every possible way!
Pros / Cons
- Regular excursions
- The diversity of students
- Supportive staff
People didn't like...
- The courses are academically demanding
Choose St Clare's if...
You’re looking for a well established summer school provider offering courses in its own teaching centre and residencies close to the centre of Oxford.
St Clare’s, Oxford was founded by Anne Dreydel OBE and Pamela Morris in 1953. The college grew out of a scheme to establish links between British and European students after the Second World War. Our original name was The Oxford English Centre for Foreign Students. This later became St Clare’s Hall, and then St Clare’s, Oxford. In the mid-50s, students came from more than 12 Western European countries. Over time, the college began to attract a wide range of nationalities. Nowadays there are over 40 nationalities on the IB Diploma alone. Read more.
Silver Standard Provider
- Year founded: 1953
- No. Students: Unknown
- Accommodation: Homestay & Residency
- Age Range: 10-17+
- Hours of Tuition / wk: 20+
- Typical Duration: 2 weeks
Dates & Fees
- Fees from: £2000
- Dates: June - August
- Duration: 2 weeks
- Age Range: 10-17+