To what extent do people subconsciously take on ideas from the society in which they were raised? Are we all unwitting products of forces we did not choose? This course combines philosophy with critical theory to examine why the world is the way it is. Students call on a range of thinkers to analyze the political and societal trends that define the 21st century. They learn to interrogate information, discuss controversial topics sensitively, and construct persuasive arguments.
The Cambridge Tradition is based at Jesus College, whose buildings date back to the twelfth century, and counts notable figures such as Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Thomas Cranmer, and Prince Edward among its alumni.
- Breakfast in Hall
- classes on topics as diverse as Studio Art or Business and Finance meet in classrooms, labs, studios, or out and about in Cambridge
- students can choose to have lunch at any local restaurants or sandwich shops in town
- three afternoons a week, classes meet again. When there is no class, they are free to join in organized activities or trips and tours in and around Cambridge
- dinner in Hall
- evening activities, events, or shows
- Access to cultural sites and local events
- extracurricular activities, workshops, and event offerings
- continuous support
- on-site staff of experienced professionals
- local meals
In Cambridge, students live in rooms that are occupied by undergraduates during the year. Students are housed in singles or doubles. Students can request a private bathroom (for a fee), on a first-come, first-served basis.
Students on the Cambridge Tradition attend one or two Sessions and choose one course per Session. Popular courses include Aerospace Engineering, Astronomy and Astrophysics, International Espionage, Medicine, and Psychology.
Every class is designed to use Cambridge as a teaching tool. When not in class, students have access to a full range of optional activities designed to help them discover Cambridge and immerse themselves in English life. They can go on tours of local sights, go on field trips, take part in sporting activities.